Ohio Governor to Sign Bill Authorizing Arming Teachers, $100 Million in Security Upgrades to Schools

From the story: Ohio Governor Mike DeWine on Thursday said he intends to sign a bill that would allow state school employees to arm themselves. DeWine addressed the bill during a manufacturing event in northeast Ohio. When asked about House Bill 99, he said the legislation would provide extra protection for students… Under the latest version of the bill, school employees who carry guns would need up to 24 hours of initial training, then up to eight hours of requalification training annually (WBNS). Daily Wire: In addition to the new bill concerning armed security, DeWine also released a statement regarding a school safety bill, HB 687, that would approve $100 million for school security upgrades across the state. The bill would also add $5 million in new security for higher education campuses in Ohio (Daily Wire). Hugh Hewitt: I think a supermajority of voters also believe that well-trained, experienced and well-armed officers need to be on the campuses of our 131,000 K-12 public and private schools. Police officers who have called my radio show in the days since Uvalde and Buffalo suggest these should be neither rookies nor aging cops, but men and women working two-year tours after at least five years on the force, perhaps rotating through various campuses to gain familiarity with them all. The arms held securely in reserve must be able to defeat body armor (Washington Post).

You need to be a member of Command Center to add comments!

Join Command Center

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• June is also the month when Ohio begins legal concealed carry without a permit!

This reply was deleted.