ADMIN

How a railroad strike could send food prices soaring

Livestream: Is the US headed for a national rail strike? :  r/WorkplaceOrganizing

The nation’s supply of food could take a hit if railroad workers go on strike, driving up prices at the grocery store and limiting U.S. grain exports to countries facing famine.  

As soon as next week, 115,000 freight rail workers could walk out if they cannot reach a new contract with railroads, potentially shutting down the national rail network that transports 20 percent of all grain shipments. 

While unions say they want to avert a strike, and Congress has the power to block it, the U.S. food sector is rattled by the prospect of a national railroad shutdown in the middle of peak harvest season.    

A ‘devastating ripple effect’ 

Even a short-lived interruption “would create a devastating ripple effect” on the nation’s fragile supply chains, said Lee Sanders, senior vice president of government relations and public affairs at the American Bakers Association.  

“Rail-dependent facilities would be unable to receive materials and ingredients, and millions of Americans a day would be unable to receive the baked goods they rely on to feed themselves, their families, and communities,” she said.  

read more:

https://thehill.com/policy/3636564-how-a-railroad-strike-could-send-food-prices-soaring/

You need to be a member of Command Center to add comments!

Join Command Center

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good, we can do both... prosecute corrupt criminal government officials and demand government legislate changes while on strike... or engaged in other civil acts of disobedience.

• Amen...

Proerbs 28:: 1-6:  "

The wicked run when no one is chasing them, but an honest person is as brave as a lion. When a nation sins, it will have one ruler after another. But a nation will be strong and endure when it has intelligent, sensible leaders. Someone in authority who oppresses poor people is like a driving rain that destroys the crops. If you have no regard for the law, you are on the side of the wicked; but if you obey it, you are against them.  Evil people do not know what justice is, but those who worship the Lord understand it well.

• Let me just regress for a moment… Union and Strikes are two different things… I am for strikes asa a tool to engage govenment with the people’s resolve for change… reforms.  I am not for Uion or Union leadership of the type we see in today’s labor markets.

Next,  I remain adamant that violence when faced with the weapons system of today is not a viable solution… it will lead to mass casualties, a ruined economy and the dissident forces facing prison or execution.   Do not expect men like Pres. Biden too pull punches or too show mercy upon armed mobs… he is not a Republican and is unlikely to ask permission to strike the rebels donw with all available force.  He is unlikely to invite them to engage in a public debate or a m eet and greet event to foster better relatons with his enemies.

I believe I know how a faceoff between Deer Rifles and the Armor in a combined arms militar force would fare... Guerrilla or irregular infantry tactics matters not… The long term result wll be the same… mountains of dead patriots and a military government under martial law.

• Do not confuse the VN war of capitulation by our politicians with the combat effectiveness of the VC and NVA... or their guerrilla tactics.  They lost every major battle and according to Gen Gap's memoirs n. Viet Nam was ready to successfully negotiate a settlement when Washington decided to capitulate.

How the North Vietnamese conclude losing 1.5 million in combat to the 58K US casualties is a military victory is beyond me.  Any victory the North achieved was political. 

It must be noted that the South was more than holding their own until the USA stopped sending arms and munitions to support the war... The  South Vietnamese were literally running out of arms and ammunition… Washington abandoned them… telling them they were on their own.

Was that a military victory… or a political capitulation?

• Yes, it matters... It instructs us that we should find a political solution and only resort to war when one is not readily available. Win the war and then negotiate the peace... save the lives of millions.

It informs us that military action works... when it is allowed to work. We don't and should not fight wars of attrition, to find political solutions. Win the war first and then... THEN, negotiate and win the peace, at the conference table, not while the living rooms of peasants and the fields of conflict are bleeding red...

Do what we did in WW-2... with Japan and Europe.  Win the war and then win the peace.  Stop the bleeding, clear the obstacles in the patient's airway and then treat the wounds and heal the lands with a just and workable peace.

• Let me clarify... I was not suggesting we won the war with N. Viet Nam... the precept however is correct... win the war and then negotiate.  Negotiating with the NVA for 17yrs got us nowhere... Negotiating with the Islamic hordes while attempting to reign them in militarily has gotten us nowhere... 

However, Jefferson used force of arms, won the war, and negotiated peace with the Pasha of Tripoli in the first Barberie war of 1801, which lasted for over 100 yrs.  Polk won the Mexican war in 1846-48 and then won the peace with the treaty of Hidalgo which remains in effect to this day.

Wars should not be waged unless they are engaged with great force of arms to bring about quick victory and an end to the belligerency.  It is winning the peace that guarantees long-term peaceful relationships with former enemies.  Germany, Italy, Japan, and the balance of the axis powers are recent examples... of winning the peace.

• Yet another example of how Unions have outlived their usefulness in the United States and should be banned!

• Add my name to the list of people who think unions should be abolished!

• I agree. Time to abolish the unions. 

• Yes, they are all communist bastards!

This reply was deleted.